Ross Ferry Road
The first people to live in this house were Captain D Matheson and his sister Willena MacRae. The house, which is built in the Gothic Revival style, is a one and one half storey with a steep gable roof and return eaves. The single gothic dormer on the front elevation has a three point gothic style window (replaced 2001). The front façade is three bay, and is symmetrical with a recessed main doorway and three pane side lights on either side. The windows are double hung and 1 over 1 with shutters. The house sits on a sandstone block. The interior of the house has two fireplaces and one chimney. The staircase, banisters and front entrance were all constructed from mahogany wood which was brought by Capt. Matheson from the West Indies. The present barn, built in 1950 is the third to be constructed on the property. The present owners are the fourth generation to live on this property.
Built in the Modified Gothic style, this one and one half storey house has a steep gable roof with return eaves. The foundation of the home is sandstone. Windows are 1 over 1 double hung, with decorative shutters. Exterior is vinyl siding. One centrally situated gothic dormer with a 3 point gothic window.
“The house which sits down in the hollow” - that would be an accurate description of the MacDonald house in Ross Ferry. Built around 1880, this is the second house to be built on the property that was granted to Murdock MacDonald in 1826. The original road to the first house can still be seen from the road. As well, this property is well known locally for the abundance of blueberries which grow near the road.
Click on Thumbnail to enlarge Image