Ross Ferry Road
Built in 1900, this turn of the century modified gothic house is a two storey with a steeply pitched gable roof and a brick inset chimney. There is a pointed dormer on the kitchen elevation. The front of the house is symmetrical and with a four bay front façade. There is a shed and an enclosed sun porch, both of which were added in 1930. The foundation of the house is fieldstone, the original shingles have been replaced with vinyl siding. The windows are a combination of fixed light, double hung, and casement. In 1927, Neil MacLeod ran the post office out of this house. In 1953 his son Angus took it over until 1968. They were responsible for sorting and stamping the mail, then James Fraser MacKenzie would take the mail and distribute it from Ross’ Ferry to Kempt Head. This was one of the first rural routes in Nova Scotia.
This house is modified Gothic style in design. It has a steeply pitched gabled roof with a pointed dormer on the ell. The foundation of the home is fieldstone. The windows are casement windows, double hung and fixed light. The house is clad in vinyl siding. There is a timber frame barn located on the property as well.
This house is overlooking the Great Bras d’Or and the little community of Big Harbour. Located on the property is a Modified Gothic home, as well as a timber framed barn. This property was once owned by one of the first settlers in the community of Ross Ferry, and thus the community derived its name from this man. John Ross occupied the property for 86 years; the present family, the MacLeods, bought the property in 1916. They occupied the farm as both postmasters and farmers. The MacLeods had an impressive dairy business at one time.
Click on Thumbnail to enlarge Image