Kempt Head Road
Built in a simple vernacular style, this 1 ˝ storey house was erected in 1885 by Kenneth MacKay on his property. He moved the house in 1905 to its present location. Dolly MacKay is reported to have said that she remembers the house was moved in 1905 because, "that was the only important thing that happened that year." The property deed was granted in 1857 to John Morrison, who sold it to John MacLeod in 1861. The property remained in the MacLeod Family until 1952. Neil and Margaret MacLeod had the last MacLeod family in the house, with their children Charlotte, Cortland, Tena, Roderick, and Billy. The property contained cabins, where the sawmill workers lived, and some of the teachers from the nearby Kempt Head School boarded with the MacLeod family. One of these teachers reportedly moved out because the partying in the house didn’t allow her any rest. The property was purchased by Frank and Olive Pride Antonioli in 1953. It is currently owned by the children of the Antoniolis.
The house was built in a simple vernacular style. It is a 1 ˝ storey with a steep gable roof and return eaves. The exterior has wood shingles with barge and corner boards. There is one inset metal chimney. Windows are double hung and are 1/1, 2/2 along with casement windows. There is an enclosed sun porch across the front gable end with a hip roof.
This simple vernacular style 1 ˝ storey house was built by Kenneth MacKay in 1885. It was originally owned by the MacLeod Family and is currently used as a seasonal dwelling. It is not located on the original location, but was moved in 1905 to its present property. The foundation of one of two original homes on the property remains visible, and is located close to the old Boularderie road. A mill dam still stands on the property, the remnants of a grist mill (later converted to a saw mill). The grist mill stones are dispersed around Boularderie Island. For example, one stone served as the doorstep to the United Church Manse (it has since been covered by a deck). In 1980, the movie The Third Walker was being filmed at the Dan and Dolly MacKay house. The movie director was granted permission to use Pride Acres for a luncheon for the crew and actors. After remarking frequently about a busy schedule that would limit the luncheon to an hour, he landed his car in the ditch, and had to wait to be towed out. Consequently, William Shatner passed the afternoon sitting in a rocking chair with the family cat on his lap, trying to Captain Kirk and Star Trek to Olive (who was seventy-one years old).
Click on Thumbnail to enlarge Image