Built in 1883 by John Old, this house replaced the original house that was built by the MacKenzie family in 1823. That house built by the MacKenzies still stands behind the current Fraser house. Last December it fell during a bad winter storm, until that time it was the oldest standing structure on Boularderie Island. The Fraser family has been farming on the Southside of Boularderie since 1883. They are as well one of the oldest families. Even though none of the farm buildings remain, the property is home to the MacKenzie cemetery (which is the cemetery for the original owners of the property) and the old Knox church hall. The hall closed its doors in 1957, and is now used as a hay barn. In 1900 the kitchen of the house was nearly destroyed by fire. The kitchen was replaced, almost exactly as it had been prior to the fire. On the interior, the mouldings and staircases are original to the house, as are most of the doors. The windows and shingles have all been replaced, but the colour of the house - white and green - remain the same.
The house has an asymmetrical fašade with double hung and fixed light windows. It is in the plain Victorian style. The porch was added on to the home after plumbing became available. The addition of the porch was due to the installation of the bathroom in the old porch. We have found through our research that this was the case in many rural homes on Boularderie Island.
Although none of the original farm buildings remain, this property is home to the MacKenzie cemetery (which is the cemetery for the original owners of the property) and the old Knox church hall. The hall closed its doors in 1957, and is now used as a hay barn.
Click on Thumbnail to enlarge Image