MacDonald House - Big Bras d'Or
This house was built circa 1900. It is simple Victorian in design. Built by the MacDonald family to whom the land was originally granted. The house was sold in 1934. The circumstances surrounding its purchase are tragic. In 1934 a fire destroyed the Dunlop home that was located where the Seal Island Bridge is today. The fire killed five of the Dunlop children. The Presbyterian Church of Boularderie Island purchased the land and the house from the widow MacDonald and gave it to the Dunlop family to help them start over. The house, which for the last few years was hidden by overgrown trees and scrub, has had its lot cleared away and once again people can see this impressive structure from the road.
The front of the house is asymmetrical. It is a two and a half storey house, with a three bay window in the front. The top storey has three double hung windows and a diamond fixed light window. There is a dormer over the ell on the half storey. The front porch is enclosed. The roof is steeply pitched. The house is clad in shingles with corner boards.
The Presbyterian Church of Boularderie Island purchased this house from the widow MacDonald in 1934 and gave it to the Dunlop family whose house had been destroyed in a recent fire.
Click on Thumbnail to enlarge Image