MacLeod Farm
Kempt Head Road
1860

Phillip MacLeod built this house in the 1860ís. It was likely built in two sections- the original beams in the basement are of different ages, although the newer section must also be quite old, judging by the girth of the beams. It was moved from its original stone foundation (which remains on the property) in the 1960ís. James Kent owned the house at that time, and contracted local workers to move it to its current foundation.

Architectural Comment

The veranda and dormer additions to this house make its appearance vernacular, but it must have once looked like a simple farmhouse in the maritime box style.

Contextual Comment

The property contains no original outbuildings, but the remains of the original foundation, as well as the ruins of an old mill, are situated on this land.

  • Top
  • Click on Thumbnail to enlarge Image
  • Try Again
    Main